Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Review - Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes





Book Summary


Catherine Bailey has been enjoying the single life long enough to know a catch when she sees one. Gorgeous, charismatic and spontaneous, Lee seems almost too perfect to be true. And her friends clearly agree, as each in turn falls under his spell.

But what begins as flattering attentiveness and passionate sex turns into raging jealousy, and Catherine soon learns there is a darker side to Lee. His increasingly erratic, controlling behaviour becomes frightening, but no one believes her when she shares her fears. Increasingly isolated and driven into the darkest corner of her world, a desperate Catherine plans a meticulous escape.

Four years later, Lee is behind bars and Catherine—now Cathy—compulsively checks the locks and doors in her apartment, trusting no one. But when an attractive upstairs neighbour, Stuart, comes into her life, Cathy dares to hope that happiness and love may still be possible . . . until she receives a phone call informing her of Lee’s impending release. Soon after, Cathy thinks she catches a glimpse of the former best friend who testified against her in the trial; she begins to return home to find objects subtly rearranged in her apartment, one of Lee’s old tricks. Convinced she is back in her former lover’s sights, Cathy prepares to wrestle with the demons of her past for the last time.

My Review - 5 star

This is a chunkster read, 611 pages but what an intense thrill, I completed it in 4 days and I am a normal 1 book a week reader with most books at 400.  This was completely an edge of your seat read.

I loved the 3 year span, Chapters about 2004 with her boyfriend, being swept off her feet to the destructive controlling relationship vs 2007 now living in fear that he will find her and this time, be successful in killing her.  Both time periods were gripping and effective to moving the story along.

Cathy used to party hard with an amazing group of friends.  This all changed once Lee came into her life.  Everyone thought he was perfect, including Cathy at first.  She tried to talk to best friends about the changes but wanting their own perfect boyfriend made them become overshadowed with really understanding.  This sounds crazy but Elizabeth Haynes made it all so real and complicated.

Cathy started a new life after escaping near death. I enjoyed learning more about OCD and PTSD, which she was diagnosed for as part of her escape mechanisms.  Cathy became a new person, different personality in order to protect herself. Throughout this she met someone also which helped her confront her OCD.  The repetition of her checking doors etc for her safety may seem to much for some readers, but I thought it hit home with the intensity of it.

I thought the ending was brilliant.  At times there was some gruesome abuse scenes but so effective, none for the shock factor. Controlling manipulative people can be so charming, it is truly amazing to see the destruction many were affected by.  I loved the end, totally made you think and realise how strong Cathy really was to have survived and fought for her life and rights.

I highly recommend, the repetition for me, created the intensity of the story but may put others off.

Another bloggers review - Matt from A Guys Moleskin, the review that sold me.




8 comments:

  1. Wow, you've convinced me that I need to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed by this debut novel too, and have enjoyed the books she's written since this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, nice to know it was a over even though there were so many pages :)

    Let me know what you feel like reading in the New Year :)

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year lovely - I have been thinking and come up with anything. Sigh, so not the best at making plans lately.

      Delete
  4. This sounds great! I'm adding it to my list for 2015. Hopefully I'll get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a voracious reader;and borrow books regularly from my town library.this is my first experience with an e-book purchase and it was a great read. I could not put it down. OCD and suspense;a great combination.
    I like this site :: Austin SEO Don Allen click here

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't put this book down either! So, so good even when it was about difficult subject matter. This was a book that stuck with me for a long time after reading it! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed it as well. I've read another book by her that I enjoyed as well that is the start of a mystery series. Very different from this book but very good as well! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only thing I need to warn about is that being an American, I was unfamiliar with some of the dialect. This book was written in England, and although a lot of it I already had an understanding of, there were a few words here and there that I hadn't heard used in that manor before. There wasn't enough of it to detract from the book now, and in fact I think I learned some from it :-).

    Marlene
    Informative URL for Bellevue Janitorial Services website

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.