Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Review - In the Belly of Jonah by Sandra Brannan





Book summary from Amazon (teaser)

A window cut into a girl's body sets off a desperate search for a serial killer with an artistic bent.

Liv "Boots" Bergen is shocked when the body of a stunning college intern working in her Colorado limestone quarry is found on the shores of a nearby reservoir. Clues are scarce--except that the crime scene appears to be a macabre, intricately staged tableau.

My Review - 4 stars

I knew this was a series, I mainly enjoy stand alone's so I initially thought OMG we will be dealing with the same serial killer, sigh, but nope looks like different cases for the series but the same amateur girl next door acting detective, Liv and the real Detective Streeter.  So in the Belly of Jonah we get it all with a good wrap up, I am pleased.

I did a minor in Art History so I completely got the mysterious brutal and gruesome parts but it didn't take away from the story at all, if anything it helped with the visuals.  A sick and twisted serial killer that thought far to much of himself.

I did like the idea that Liv came across as just using her brain and experiences to be able to help the Detectives instead of a wannabe that is better than the cops, that usually is a put off to me.   She was directly involved as the victim worked for her and the Detective was an old friend from college.  They dealt with the critical incident with staff very well, completely believable.  What was unbelievable is staying with Liv during the investigation, that would never get approved with Liv being so close to the investigation.  Especially since it wasn't a secret, ridiculous.

I was pleased that people actually died, the ones who usually never do, that was well done, gave us some good action.  Sandra Brannan did a great job on giving you ideas of who the murderer was so it became a him or him or is it someone else, good suspense.

This was a strong debut, well thought out.  A touch on the cozy side for me other than brutal scenes but overall it worked.  I will continue to read this series.

I read this after recommendation from blogger friend Michelle at red headed book child.








17 comments:

  1. You cracked me up when you said you were pleased that people died. I've heard this is a great series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to giggle to Kathy, but I was excited, it was so unlike what is expected. :-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great read, although I'm such a chicken when it comes to books about serial killers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked it. I love the cover.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed this one especially since it is part of a series. I have it on my shelves as well so I'm glad to hear that it doesn't matter if you have read the other book(s?) or not. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, it is the first in the series, but I hate numerous books in a series to catch 1 killer.

      Delete
  5. YEAH! I have this on my kindle and can't wait to get to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. FINALLY!!! I'm glad you liked it. And thanks for the shout out. I need all the help I can get. (just kidding).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice it is very useful thank you for sharing
    Tableau Online Training

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for given such an informative blog. Get the best Website Designing and Development Services by Ogeninfo.
    SEO Service in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get the best performing Mutual Fund by Mutual Fund Wala and know the best investment schemes.
    Mutual Fund Agent

    ReplyDelete
  11. Decent information put in this blog, thank you so much for sharing such amazing information.
    Lifestyle Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice blog, Visit Kalakutir Pvt Ltd for Godown Line Marking Painting, Base Company Logo Painting, and School Bus Painting.
    School Bus Painting

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.