Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Review - Attorney-Client Privilege by Pamela Samuels Young




Book Summary from Pump up Your Books

A brutal murder, missing documents and an unscrupulous opposing counsel lead attorney Vernetta Henderson on a quest for justice—and ultimately—revenge. The hotshot L.A. lawyer takes on a corporation with a long history of discriminating against women. While Vernetta simply wants justice for her clients, the corporation’s hired gun wants to win . . . and she doesn’t care how. On the home front, Vernetta’s infamous sidekick Special has finally found true love. But is the price more than she’s willing to pay?


My  Review - 4 stars

This legal thriller had it all, many debatable topics, cultural diversity, religion, fraud, sexism and a huge discrimination case.  There was lots going on to keep you engaged with unethical, underhanded manipulation.  Some characters you really do not like, the get the job done under any circumstances without only one thought, themselves.

The main character in this series, Vernetta, she is likable but I don't think memorable.  I think her best friend, Special, leaves more of an impression that she does.  And Girle, the other attorney.  Vernetta and her have a competitive heated working relationship, always fighting against each other to see who will win.  Vernetta is a by the book lawyer which is very good and Girlie is an attractive lawyer that is unorthodox in the way she gets information but definitely sleeps with the enemies to win.  She is respected because she wins.

We have a murder at the beginning of the story that intertwines this journey.  Vernetta wants her to give up this case as she is in danger which she will not accept.  Special and her fiance are having relationship conflicts over the Muslim religion.  This is a huge part of the story that pulls at emotions with many characters and has the reader judging also.

Dealing with a huge corporate discrimination case was interesting.  The outcome, climatic, this alone was worth the read, entertaining.

Pamela knows how to bring a novel to a close, the last quarter had me on the edge of my seat, I couldn't wait to see who will get what they deserve and how.  The major crime gave us the suspense and the legal research and trials gave us the thrill. 

Pamela Samuels Young has a way with capturing your attention with her legal cases.  You always learn something also, in this case, the religion information was appealing, even though I was a little judgmental.

A favourite quote.

"I spoke to a woman who worked at a store in Bakerfield," Benjamin said, perusing the notes on his legal pad.  "She claims a reginal manager told her women weren't fit for management because God made men to rule and females to serve." 

"Was he trying to be funny?" 

"She certainly didn't think so.........

My Reviews
Buying Time (my favourite of hers)
Murder on the Down Low







5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your review! Not usually a fan of legal thrillers so don't think this is the book for me, but can see why you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I could get past some of those character names!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started this yesterday. It's been a while since I've read a legal thriller, I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read many thrillers, so I would have to say this one is not my cup of tea. Great review though anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love legal thrillers! I'll definitely have to check out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.