Thursday, December 2, 2010

Review - Cut Short by Leigh Russell



Book Summary from Amazon

D.S. Geraldine Steel expects the quiet town of Woolsmarsh to be dull. She quickly discovers she is wrong. The park is a place where children play, friends sit and gossip, people walk their dogs, or take a short cut to avoid the streets. But in the shadows a predator prowls, hunting for victims. A woman sees the killer and comes forward as a witness-someone whom the killer must stop at all costs. For D.S. Geraldine Steel, it is a race against time to find the killer before he strikes again, as public pressure mounts with the growing death toll.

My Review - 3 More Sugar Please

This was a solid Crime Thriller that had interesting characters but it just didn't have my heart racing.  We know who the serial killer is so we are on the investigation journey along with the Detective and Police, this took away from any surprise or mysterious element.  I would recommend this one to those that enjoy light or cozy mysteries.

I did enjoy reading the story through the eyes of serial killer, victims and D.S. Geraldine Steel.

Geraldine beat herself up a little regarding what she missed or how else she should have approached evidence and I felt the same way, why don't they, why didn't they, did they forget, etc.  I am unsure if the author did this on purpose.

There is a twist but only for the reader to say, ahhh interesting but it doesn't connect for the characters, I didn't like that at all.

All in all, it was good, I will probably read the next in this series.  And the cover, one of my favourites this year in my opinion.  See the man in the eye pupil, that is great artwork.

I wanted to try British authors that is why I chose to read this one.  I also read a great review with interview of Leigh Russell over on Clarrisa's blog, Listen to the Voices.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting -- especially when it's told through the killer's eyes. I'm sure that's pretty creepy, no? I just read Psycho (the book the Hitchcock film was based on), and the sections from Norman's perspective were the scariest and most unsettling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it didn't work for you. Good on you for trying to read the next one in the series to give it a 2nd chance! I agree I really like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cover IS cool. I find that I quite often don't like a mystery when there's no real mystery, unless aNOTHER, more complex unsolved mystery is piled on top of it! :0

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like books that tell a part of the story through the killer's eyes. It gives us some understanding of the motivations, which I enjoy.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Marce - I flipped you over to 300 followers. I'm part of the Author by the Alphabet challenge. I'm going to pick the F book for April (change in plans from the E book). Check Paula's blog for the title sometime soon. Belle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.