Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Let's Talk about Reading Slumps....



Do you ever getting in a reading slump? Have you figured out why?

It is hard when I find myself staring at a book and the pages might as well be blank because I just can't seem to get into the story or I am reading paragraphs over and over. I know it's not the books fault, and not that I am not enjoying the author's style of writing, I am just in a reading slump!

We all go through periods where we just can't seem to read with our usual enthusiasm right..... I think many of us get in a reading slump because we are overwhelmed with the HUGE TBR list we have, so it may not be a reading slump at all but Decisions Decisions Decisions……..

But there can be many reasons as to why a slump starts, from life is just too busy, work, school, children or even health issues.

However, when we find that great book that got us out of the slump, we are enjoying our favourite past time again.

What book would you recommend, is there 1 specific book, author, genre that will always get you out of your slump? Also do you have a favourite book that you re-read that gets you out of the slump?

So let's talk... share your experiences and how you managed to overcome.






If you choose to respond in your own blog, please include my post and link.








Mary Higgins Clark would be the author for me, she is so consistent, I have never been let down. And this is why she is my favourite author.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

The book I will re-read when I just can’t choose or need to read a
motivating story would be Dibs, In Search of Self, my all time favourite.

*

*

*

*



And most recently it was Gods Behaving Badly, just different from my norm and funny. I have recommended this one to other bloggers to get out of their reading slump.

*

*

*

& Books in Verse, this is new to me but definitely great for Reading Slumps, I recommended them here. http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/03/reviews-of-books-in-verse-for-recommend.html



Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, would love for you to comment and participate.

10 comments:

  1. In all my years (which are many) I have never reread a book. I guess its because there are so many books I haven't read. J. Patterson, L. Jackson, Karen Rose to name a few will always get me out of a slump.
    CMashLovesToRead

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Mary Higgins Clark is a good choice for getting out of a slump. James Patterson works for me too at times. Short chapters. Right into the action. something like that.

    I have many "comfort" reads. Books that I've read over and over. Barbara Michaels gothic romances. Agatha Christie mysteries. Nora Roberts' supernatural trilogies. I know how they will end, but I love the stories over and over. There are many more, but that's a sampling. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually fall back to Stephen King. He has good solid story telling but is pretty easy to read and almost all of his books are page-turners. This usually does it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great question. I don't fall back on a particular author so much as a genre. If I am in a slump and not getting into any of the stories I pick up I'll usually grab some sort of chick lit. I generally know what I'm getting into. If I can race through a story like that, then it is easier to pick up something else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for responding

    Mash - Actually DIBS is the only one I have re-read, maybe 4 times

    Kay - I agree on the James P also, the quick chapters make it easy

    LovelyLittleShelf - I read my 1st Stephen King last year, not a great one but I am going to try Bag of Bones this year

    Teresa - Chick lit is a mood choice for me, that probably won't get me out of a slump but more likely put me in one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't ever remember being in a reading slump, but I have had books that made me wonder why I was bothering with them. I always look for something light after a book like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great topic! For me, Agatha Christie is always a great choice. And basically any cozy mystery, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the topic. Personally, I have never reread a book (unless it has been YEARS and it is for a challenge or something)--there are too many good books out there!

    I would recommend She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb--really, really good book.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently hit a major slump. I think I was burnt out on contemporary romance. So I switched gears and picked up something dystopian and it was perfect.


    For me I need a total change in gears to bounce out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't really experienced a reading slump... and usually I have many books waiting for me (borrowing way too many books from the library!), so I'll just keep reading the next one. Plus I usually have a good fiction and non-fiction mix so usually there is something that'd fit my mood. I hardly re-read...

    Interesting - I just bought Dibs not too long ago from the library book sale for 50 cents :) Now I know if I do have a reading slump, which book to read :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.